Experts say that an important part of healthy eating is healthy snacking. It will keep you energized all through the day and you will not feel hungry, little or much, even at 3 pm when you are at work in your office. You will not have to get out of your office and hit the nearest drive-thru.
According to The Michigan State University Extension, it is recommended that:
- A healthy snack will ease your hunger all through the day
- It will provide you with the necessary nutrients that is required by your body to continue to work properly
- You should take snacks between your meals and
- You must snack at regular intervals so that you do not overeat or under eat to gain or lose weight respectively.
Most people nowadays prefer to have small meals several times all throughthe day. However, there are a few who are more likely to stick to the traditional ‘three square meals a day’ concept. But given the workload and the energy required by your body now, health experts and nutritionists suggest that you incorporate snacks in your daily diet. Eating healthy food is the only way in which you can:
- Restore and retain energy
- Maintain the desired sugar and cholesterol level
- Ensure proper brain functionality
- Maintain your mood
- Stay focused and alertall through the day.
Therefore, snacks are an important part of your healthy eating plan, if that is what you are more focused on.
The food group
When it comes to food there are five food groups and when it comes to snacking or your meal it should consist of at least three of these five food groups, if not all. There are lots of sites available on the internet that will guide you while you make your choice of food groups that comprises of the following:
- Dairy products
- Protein rich food
- Whole grains
- Fresh vegetables and legumes and
- Fruit groups.
Therefore, when you order for home delivery snacks make sure that you include a variety of food groups in your daily meal and snack choice. This will ensure that you intake maximum vitamin and nutrient. If you are unsure and cannot decide on what to choose even after taking help of the internet, you should consult your dietician or even your doctor for that matter.
Snack ideas according to each group
Like it is said that your snacks should include a variety of food groups, you must include some from each food group to make a healthy snacking chart. Here is the complete list.
When it comes to grains or cereal food it should be most foods made from whole grain and those varieties that are high on cereal fiber. Your list may include:
- Dry cereal
- Whole grain crackers
- Sliced bread
- Mini bagels
- Mini rice cakes
- Graham crackers or
- Whole wheat tortillas.
When it comes to choosing vegetables, legumes or beans your list should ideally include a couple from the following list:
- Vegetable “matchsticks” or thin slices made from fresh carrots
- Bell pepper rings
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green beans
- Steamed broccoli
- Sugar peas and
Fruits are very important for health and are also very filling and are an essential element in your snack. The list of fruits to choose includes:
- Apple slices
- Tangerine sections
- Strawberry halves
- Berries and
- Dried apricots.
Another important food group to add in your snack list is any dairy product. The items you can choose include:
- Fat-free or low-fat milk
- Low-fat cheese slices
- Low-fat cottage cheese
- String cheese and
- Mini yogurt cups.
As far as the protein rich foods are concerned the list seems to be pretty simple but highly important. It includes foods such as:
- Whole eggs or slices or wedges
- Peanut butter
- Bean dip
- Slices of lean turkey, fish, meat or chicken and
- Shelled pumpkin seeds.
No matter whatever you choose, if you do not prepare these foods correctly all these foods could be choking hazards.
Snack tips for parents
Snacking is very important for babies, kids, teens and adults irrespective of where they are. You can be at home or in your office and kids can be in school, at home and on the playfield, the activities will consume energy from the body and therefore need food to restore the lost energy. If you or your kid avoid snacks, the body will draw energy from other parts and organs in it and result in several diseases, mild and chronic.
When it comes to kids snacking, selection of food as well as making them have it both is quite an overwhelming task. All parents should be very cautious about both just to make sure they have the required nutrients that their body and their brain needs to grow. There are a few snacking tips that are not just good for children only but also for the adults.
- Select the food items according to their requirement and pre-plan so that you can include a couple there favorite items in the list.
- Select the between meal snack time strategically so that they do not avoid eating their meals.
- Always avoid convenient and processedfoods from the vending machines.
- Add variety in snacks so that it does not become a boring and monotonous ‘task.’ Ideally you and your kids should enjoy your snacks to be healthy.
- Always include a glass of water with the snack. Water is very important because it will not only help you to feel full but it will keep your body hydrated all throughthe day.
- Avoid sugary soda or other beverage as the sugar and caffeine may give you a quick boost but that will be just for a while just like a glass of water will stay with you.
All these tips and food choices will help you to avoid felling sluggish between your meals. Therefore, next time consider grabbing such healthy snack from home delivery snacks comprising of three of more food groups to keep your stomachfull and satisfied as well as to provide your body with the necessary nutrients that is required to stay energized, refreshing and focused.